Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does Win98 PC Beat WinXP PC On Same Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert1959

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
US
This is a perplexing problem everyone! I have an 400mhz
Dell Computer running Windows98 and a new E-machine AMD 1.8Ghz WindowsXP computer, which was purchased to retire the aging 1999 Dell. Now the jokes on me, it seems!

The New Windows XP computer downloads at approx 320kbps, while the Win98 Dell downloads MUCH faster at 901kbps and sometimes over 1 Meg, according to repeated tests run at DSL Reports. I never have both computers hooked up to the
connection at the same time. It's just simply an amazing
and mind boggling difference between the two, which is easily observable on page loads and file downloading. The
WinXP aves 38kb sec transfer and the Dell Screams along at
98.1kbs. I'm dumbfounded. The WinXP P.C. was even slower
before I tweaked the MTU, RWIN, etc. for PPPOE WinXP DSL.

ANY GUIDANCE TO HELP ME EXPLAIN AND HOPEFULLY SOLVE THIS MYSTERY ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Appreciative,

Bert Turner, HBBO
bertturner@sbcglobal.net

I am not a Windows user, but I beleive XP includes a primative software firewall. How fast is the XP box with the firewall turned off? I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Try test of both machines at pcpitstop.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back