Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does this splitter idea not work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erndog105

Technical User
Feb 17, 2009
Splitting a Direct TV signal – Alternative Please
I manage an apartment building. I have a single LNB, one wire running from the sat to some switches to de-stackers to multiple multi switches (MS) (one on each floor). My problem is I have a single wire running from the MS to each apartment. There it connects to a single by-pass switch that holds an outgoing wire to the living room and one to the bed room. For a one receiver set up (which is all we allow), you have to switch the wires so the power passes correctly. .
I tried the following to accommodate two receivers.
I connected a duel by-pass (DC passing all ports) to the incoming wire. My thinking was as long as only one receiver was playing at any one time, I would not have any problems. First TV worked ok. Turned off and second worked ok. Turned off and went back to first and it could not find a sat signal. (Sequence my be a little off but eventually, one tv got no signal.
Is this hopeless or is there a solution with the configuration I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back