Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does query multiply two tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLSE

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have a table called "Maintenance Summary" that contains 1468 rows of data. I also have a table called "Months", which has no relationship to any other table or query, and contains 12 rows of data (numbers for corresponding months). I query various fields in the "Maintenance Summary" table, using no criteria, and 1468 records are returned (as it should be). However, when I insert the "Months" table in design view (without actually querying one of its fields), 17616 records are returned. I believe that "Maintenance Summary's" 1468 records are being multiplied by "Month's" 12 records. However, I have not set up any kind of formula or equation that I believe would perform this calculation. Does anyone have an idea as to what is happening? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

A full Inner Join is Access's default join type
unless you specify otherwise. If you don't need
the second table, get rid of it. If you are
joining the tables, specify how, either with a Join
or a Where.

I have tried each type of join and where, & and I'm still having problems.

If the months table doesn't have any relationship to any other table, why put it in the query. Also can you post the sql for the query, that will make this much easier to figure out.

Dodge20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back