Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does Photoshop 11 always ask me for JPEG options before saving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GwydionM

Programmer
Oct 4, 2002
GB
I like to save files in a different name and in a different file. And as JPGs. But each time, it gives me a box with "JPEG Options".

The automatic selections are fine. But I have to click OK each time. It's the sort of thing you'd expect to default.

I'm new to Photoshop, probably missing something absurdly easy. Please say what.

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

JPG is a lossy format. So each time you save the same JPG-compressed image, you lose some image quality. The JPEG Options appear so that you can determine how much you want to degrade your image. Compression/quality varies from image to image so it is not typical that you'd want to apply the same level of compression to all images.

If this file saving is part of a Photoshop action, there would be other quick-save options available.

I like using jpg, which is universal. I was hoping to be told how to get the software to do what I want, not be told that my wishes were foolish.

There was no ridicule. If you were able to interpret any part of my post as calling you or your wishes "foolish", then you might just be foolish. [bigsmile]

Lighten up.

I'm still struggling with trying to understand your odd perception. Maybe this re-write will help...

rephrased... said:
Compression/quality varies from image to image so it is not typical that anyone would want to apply the same level of compression to all images. This is why Adobe engineered their software to ask each time.

I really must agree with spamjim; Adobe is simply trying to be helpful.

Good Luck

Sam

Can't I tell it not to be helpful when I am sure I don't need it?

Yes. You can create a Photoshop action.

some guy said:
If this file saving is part of a Photoshop action, there would be other quick-save options available.

Anther option would be to use the Save For Web option which remembers your previous save settings.

Saving files with different names to the originals can become very confusing if you ever need to find the original. Everybody has a different way of working but I tend to keep the names the same but save edited files in a different directory from the originals.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back