Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does my desktop open real tiny? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackvmae

Programmer
Feb 18, 2004
US
This problem is one of those little annoyances and has me really confused. Here's the problem...

When I turn on my Win XP laptop the desktop area opens up centered and very small on my screen. There is about 3 inches of black space on all four sides of the desktop image.

In order to get the desktop to fill up the whole screen I have to right click on the desktop to get Display Properties, then click Settings, then move the screen resolution to a different setting and then move it back. That forces the desktop image to now fill up my whole screen.

Anyone know how to fix this annoying problem?

Thanks,
Jack

Your laptop is displaying the desktop image in its native resolution. I had a similar problem with my Dell Latitude. My laptop has a Function control that forces the video to fill the screen, no matter what resolution I choose. I assume your laptop has a similar feature that's controlled either from a keyboard Function key or through the BIOS. Check your manual.

Yes, that's just it. LCD screens of all types only support one native resolution. You can increase the resolution manually, but it's not going to increase the quality of your display. Contact the laptop's manufacturer for any other suggestions, but I'm assuming that you're out of luck getting it to stick.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back