Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does my computer restart when my phone rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Even when my computer is just sitting there and the phone rings, my computer restarts. This happens when my computer is not even on the internet.

If you modem is external it may be a cable problem. I saw this a few years ago on modems attached to Alloy network boards. One of the signal pins in the modem cable was causing it to happen, although I don't remember which it was. Some users fixed it by just breaking off the offending pin in the male end of the cable where it attached to the modem. Sorry I can't remember more about it. Best bet is to make sure you are using the correct serial cable.

If your modem is internal, I don't have a clue! Sorry! However, it sounds like the ring indicator signal is triggering the restart event.

Do you have FAX software that might be monitoring the modem and is trying to answer the phone? If that is the case, it is possible that corruption in that software is causing the system to crash/reboot when it activates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back