Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does microsoft not fox it? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordMaximus

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2004
ZA
Hi Guys
I 've got a question that i think might've been negleted or forgotten by my people.

In microsoft outlook (any version) , when you receive a mail with some photos attached. When you click on one and say open it, and select the tickbox for "Always ask before opening this type of file" it opens the pictures, but when you click on the next file, it prompts you again, and it is the same type. ie. JPG!

Why does this happen? I'm sure this is a microsoft bug, cause i've seen it in many MS operating systems.

Anybody know why it happens?

I think you have answered your own question.

and select the tickbox for "Always ask before opening this type of file" it opens the pictures, but when you click on the next file, it prompts you again

If you select the tickbox for "Always ask before opening this type of file" then it will, well, always ask....

Daniel.

Happo
That's exactly what LordMaximus is saying: he DID select the tick box and YET it is asking him again for next JPG.

Eman_2005
Technical Communicator

he should UN-select the tick box...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

LOL, that's right :)
Sorry I got confused.

Eman_2005
Technical Communicator

Hey Guys. Some misunderstanding here.

When you deselect (sorry, forgot to mention that) the tick that says "always ask before opening this type of file" it still asks you the next time you open a file of that type.
It doesn't matter how many times you take that tick off, it still always prompts you.

I checked now on Office 2003 and it's fixed. Just interesting that all the previous versions still do it.

Funny

was this on a limited user account? or admin?

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Admin account or limited account. Same story.

Don't tell me nobody else has ever experienced this. Just about every pc i've ever worked on (that's alot) does this. It seems XP has fixed the bug. It can only be a bug.

I got this from Microsoft Site. This will explain the problem more. It does no happen with TIF files only.

SYMPTOMS
When you click a link to a Tagged Image File Format (TIF, TIFF) image in Internet Explorer, you may be prompted to either open the file directly or save the file. Note that this may occur even though you previously clicked to clear the Always ask before opening this type of file check box. Also note that the issue that is described in this article is specific to users who previously clicked to clear the Always ask before opening this type of file check box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back