Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does HP Pavillion require keyboard input on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgTech

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2002
US
I have two HP Paviliions one XE738 and one 8660C. Both are requiring keyboard input to get past the HP Splash screen and to complete the RAM self test. Is this normal or a settting? I have never noticed this before on any other machine.

Is it just an HP thing thay doesnt allow booting the machines alone?

Howdy:

Well, for what's its worth, every system I have or have used will give an error message if a keyboard isn't found during the boot (POST) process.. and NONE of them were HP's !!

Murray

Some bios have a stop on error setting that you can set. Usually there are options for all, none, and keyboard. Just remember you will not be able to get to the bios screen by pressing and holding down a key if it is not set to stop on keyboard errors.

The splash/logo screen on most 'brands' can be disabled in the BIOS settings. Press Tab or Esc or F1 when you first see the logo and then the Del, F2, F10, etc., key to enter BIOS Setup.

It doesn't seem to have any errors and I have changed the quickboot setting to bypass the splash screen. I oots fine you just have to hit ESC during the BIOS portion of the boot. The machines just seem to be pausing for user input. I will look through the BIOS settings again.

I have a Dell system with no KB on it (uses a touch screen) and basically set the BIOS to 'halt on no errors', and works like a champ.

May be an HP problem?

. sometimes just an PS/2 to USB keyboard adapter alone is enough to fool the machine;

. Sometimes disabling in BIOS the PS/2 port is enough;

. Removing stop on errors in BIOS was discussed above;

. You can purchase a keyboard spoofer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back