Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why does GPO does not apply

Status
Not open for further replies.

icewebber

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2003
hi guys, i have active directory in a windows 2000 server and i created an ou and under it, i created a username. when i log on a machine using that account my gpo settings never applied...any work around? thanks

Did you add the group policy to the OU?
Did you set up the security settings for the group policy and make the members of the OU members of the security group?

Both of these must be done for the GPO to function (assuming your desire is to set the group policies at the OU level)

As long as you created and linked a GPO to that OU containing the user, it should apply to the user. You do not, by default, need to set up any security groups to make a GPO apply to a user account.

Log on as that user, go to a command prompt, and type GPRESULT.

Go to the "User Configuration" of the results and see if the GPO is being applied to the account or not...

Thanks,
Andrew

if you have a windows xp or windows 2003 server machine on your network...Install the Group Policy Management Console

In the console you have an option called Group Policy Results

Right Click on it and run the group policy results wizard...You can view the resultant group policy set on the local computer as well as other systems on your network

Check the Settings Tab to see what has been applied

You could also manually refresh the policy on the windows 2000 server machine by using

secedit /refreshpolicy

0715 - The new command for updating group policy is:

gpupdate /force

This has replaced secedit /refreshpolicy I believe.

Thanks,
Andrew

I stand corrected on the security groups and group policies.

I am so used to controlling the desktop, start menu, etc. via group policies (which require security groups) I overstated the need for security groups.

Please forgive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back