Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does every print job write into NT system log?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Mar 26, 2001
US
I don't know if anybody ever experience this problem:
On our print server all print jobs write in Event Viewer-->System Log. Thus the system log gets full very quick. (I know increasing the log size will make the log get full slower). Auditing File and Object access is not turned on...?

Does anybody has any idea? Would really appreciate if someone could send some feedback.

Is auditing turned on on that machine ?
(Look in usermanager, choose domain and specify the server name instead of the domain name) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Auditing File and Object Access is not turned on on my print server. We only have one domain. ???

Auditing has nothing to do with the system log. All the vital information originating from system, services or device drivers goes into the system log. It's default that the print messages go into sys log on print servers. I don't think there is a way to stop these information messages from appearing. They are all system generated.

Mubashir

Actually there is a way of turning off the messages generated by the Print Spooler to the event log.

Try doing the following:

Select Printers from the Settings Start menu folder (Start - Settings - Printers)
From the File menu select Server Properties
Select the Advanced Tab
You can then select the events to log or NOT log:
- Log spooler error events
- Log spooler warning events
- Log spooler information events
You have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Cheers Phill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back