Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does a 4TB SSD format to a 2TB drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
I have just purchase a Crucial 4TB SSD (MDL : CT4000MX500SSD1 / SN : 2315E6C772EC).
I connect it to my Win 1 0 platform and try to format it with the Disk Manager. I am offered two options, with MBR, or with GUI (if I recall correctly). I chose GUI and end up with a 2Tb drive.
What did I do wrong ?

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

I think you meant GPT not GUI.

It sounds like there is a unformatted or hidden partition on the drive - have you looked at the formatted drive in Windows Disk Management?

It sounds like you formatted using MBR, not GPT. The maximum size of an MBR partition cannot exceed 2 TB. So, create another 2TB partition in the remaining unallocated space.

Alternatively, reformat the SSD using GPT (not GUI) which doesn't have the same limitations as MBR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back