Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do my jobs hang without failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDannels

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2003
US
Lately my backup/restore jobs won't do anything. They just sit there counting the elapsed time. They won't fail, and the don't backup/restore anything.
Anyone have the same problem, or know the cause and fix?

Hey.

Not sure if this will help or not, but i had the same problem a while back. In our case, the problem was with the first server in the backup job. Even though the server appeared in network neighbourhood and you could browse to it, backupexec just wouldn't connect to it. Instead of it telling you there was a problem, it just hung and the only way we could ever get it to cancel the hung backup job was to restart the services. In the end i think we managed to sort it by giving it a different static ip and reinstalling the remote agent. (i only changed the ip as we had recently changed ip ranges and wanted to make sure nothing else may have the same ip.) It may be worth checking your event logs on the server and the clients and also their network settings.

hope this helps

Thanks for the help I will try it. Has anyone else had the same problem?

In Active Job tab, right click on the job and select Properties, then go to Job History tab. Does that give any indications of trouble/errors?

Go to the Alerts tab, any alerts there?

Go to My Computer icon, right click, select Manage, expand Event Viewer. Look through the Windows Event logs, are there any indications of errors there for Backup Exec?

-SQLBill

Something else I just thought of....sometimes Veritas BE loses connection to the tape drive, which can cause the problem you are experiencing.

Go to Devices tab. Is the tape drive online?

Go to My Computer, right click, select Properties, go to Hardware tab. Click on Device Manager. There should be an entry for Tape Devices. Expand that. Is your tape drive there? If not, go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Hardware and run the wizard to find the tape drive.

You might try stopping the BE services, rebooting your tape device and when it's back up, restart the BE Services.

-SQLBill

Nope. I even tried using SGMON.exe, and that doesn't help either.

Nope what? No alerts or no the drive is offline?

-SQLBill

Bolth. I think it might be the job engine screwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back