Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do indents disappear from templates? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
I have a template for writing course assignments in MS07 (attached). The text body is indented 5cm from left to allow marking space. Heading 1 is justified left; Heading 2 (theoretically) indented 3cm from left; Heading 3 indented (theoretically) 4cm from left, etc. I say theoretically because opening a new document based on this template results in all the headings being justified left. (The text body indent remains set at 5cm from left.) You can reset the indents for each new document, but in another new document the indents will have disappeared again.

How can I set such indents and leave them set?

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster is a maniac?."
George Carlin

Why do you say that Headings are theoretically indented, when they are not. They have an 'indent' of 0cm, although they do have hanging indents so that lines after the first are indented (roughly) beyond the paragraph numbers. If you want the headings in the template indented, indent them in the template instead of doing it in each new document - either edit the template directly, or, when you change the styles, check the box for "all new documents based on this document".

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Sorry TonyJollans
I thought I had made it clear.
Try an experiment:
1. create a document using my template;
2. use each of the headings adjusting the indents as I specified;
3. save the document (including the changes to the template);
4. create another document using my template.

You will find that you have to adjust the headings again.

And, yes, I designed the template originally with the indents, and I have re-set the indents in the template. I still have to reset the indents for each new document.

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster is a maniac?."
George Carlin

Thanks PhysicsGuy - I'll check that out.

George Carlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back