Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do I need a feature Pack for 2501 router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggs

Instructor
Mar 29, 2001
GB
I have been recommended to get a feature pack (Cisco 2500 IP/IPX/AT/DEC Feature Pack Supplier Part No:- CD25-B-12.0=) for a 2501 router.
This is in connection with the CCNA exams.
I am not entirely sure if I will need this pack. I am buying a brand new router, so will it not already come with the latest software?
Any advice will be appreciated
Thanks
Graham (UK)

The router comes with what you pay for.. more then likely the stripped out version of IOS which is IP only. To work the CCNA labs you need IP and IPX.. I doubt you need the enterprise version for the CCNA unless you plan to practice bridging LAT and working with DLSW neither of which are on the CCNA test to my knowledge. In fact, DLSW may even be on the lower packages now I think about it. The only time I've seen enterprise recommended is for my CCNP training since it hits more protocols and configs then the CCNA.

If you hit eBay, you can sometimes find the feature packs for sale at a very reasonable price.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

I'd agree with the above post. But to answer your question in more general terms, "latest software" and "feature pack" are not the same issue. Cisco licenses different feature sets at different prices. The concept is that you won't need to buy features you don't need access to. The Enterprise feature set tends to be very pricey (often more than the router itself.)

Also, there are serious memory considerations with different versions and feature sets. There is a VERY good chance your 2501 does not have the flash or dram to run the Enterprise feature set. (This also varies with version #)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back