Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why CMYK jpeg shows in XP thumbnial view but not Windows 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielUK

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
GB
OK, can't figure this one out.

Our Windows 2000 Professional PCs cannot display jpg images in thumbnail view in Explorer. On the other hand, our XP machines can display them in thumbnail view.

I'm confused as the more I read around, it appears that neither are meant to be able to display CMYK jpgs in thumbnail view. Sooooo, why is XP showing them when it shouldn't and is it possible to get Windows 2000 to show them?

Thanks

Dan

Different Operating Systems would be able to preview different files, and different browsers.

Like Adobe Bridge can see what a thumbnail of an InDesign file is, but Explorer (Windows) and Finder (Mac) can't.

It's probably that the browser in Windows 2000 just isn't capable of showing the thumbnail, but Windows XP can.

They probably just updated the versions of Explorer.

I'm not sure I have enough info to help you.

Does this only happen with CMYK's saved as .jpg or does it also happen with RGB's saved as .jpg's as well or any .jpg for that matter?

I wish I still had a 2K PC for testing.

sam

Thanks Jim, I'll have a look at those add-ons.

Sam, it's only CMYK jpegs, RGB are fine. It's odd as I can't seem to find any reference to XP/more up to date browsers suddenly being able to show CMYK jpegs.

Dan

Yes it is very odd and I don't know the answer but I will poke around and let you know if I find something.

good luck

sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back