Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why can't xp recognixe .exe files? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2005
hi guys i just started having a problem yesterday and don't know how to resolve it, now without reinstalling xp anyways (lol)

I just reinstalled windows xp sp2 after my sound device not being recognized (se windows xp thread) and now when i try to install a peer to peer file sharing program it does not recignize that it is a .exe application and asks me what program to use to open it.

Ih have gone to folder options and added exe and set it to application and the i believe LNK and set it for shortcut but is does nto save it and when i go back it's not there anymore.( this was in a tread i don't remember where though.

I had to reinstall all my studio 8 a adobe programs and that took a long time and would like to not have to do so again if i can.

Does any one have any suggestions or a solution to this very annoying issue.

All help is very welcome even if t doesn't resolve it i will learn more from this experience.

thanks guys.

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Win XP has support for P2P networking, is this not sufficient?

What P2P program are you trying to load?

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I think that cupid11213 is referring to an internet based [music] file sharing application. Do other .exe's (wether installers or applications) work? Pick a normal windows .exe to test - maybe iexplore.exe or calc.exe If these work as expected, there's probably just something wrong with the file that you're trying to install.

thank you all very much yeas actually i did download mcAfee and installed on the customer and it is running completely fine.

I am trying to download AZUREUS and i'm trying to get it from and typed AZUREUS on the search bar and tried to download it from there.

can you guys see if you can open the installer ?

would appreciate to see if you guys have trouble with the download also

azureus is a highly recommended p2p file sharing program
for music dvd's

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

THANKS rvnguy I found out on my managers computer right now that the site where i was trying to download it from was bad i could not get it to load here either.

thanks guys this is a big relief to know it's not my computer. i really didn't want to have to reload windows twice in the same week (hehehe)

thanks again rvnguy and smah for your help will definetly use that link to load it.

Luis lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back