Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can't users use Merge features in Word? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinglin

MIS
May 4, 2004
US
We developed an intranet application with SQL server as storage of data. When I click on the button called Mail Merge on the page, it will open up my word document called MailMerge.dot, so I can view those merged letters and print out them as I wish. Everything works exactly what I expect, but somehow my users(at the other location)can not view the whole merged documents as I do, and their merge tool bar is even dimmed out. I don't understand why this happens. My users are using MS Word 2000, I'm using XP. Does the version matter? Can you help me out?

Thanks a lot!

Maybe I'm in a wrong forum to ask this question

One possible reason for that "their merge tool bar is dimmed out" is that your users cannot retrieve the data source for the mail merge. You might need to go through the process the building mail merge on the user's station to ensure that they are able to connect to the data source.

Seaport

You're right. It's a problem of data source. We gave the permissions to the user for accessing the SQL server on the LAN, but physically they're not mapped to it(no client-side SQL server installed even). We tried one user in our location (giving her permissions, but no SQL server installed either), she can open the merge document just as we do. This really puzzles me. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jinglin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back