Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can't logon from a Win98 workstation???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkemper

MIS
Jul 2, 2002
US
This is maddening! One of our workers can log into the domain from any other computer, other than her own. And anyone else can log onto the domain from her computer. But she can't log on at her own workstation. Is this possible? It's a W2K Server, with only one Domain.

Sure is possible.
What OS is the workstation running? GlennA
MIS, IT, Gofer

Install the Active Directory client on the 98 machine from the Windows 2000 server CD in the CLIENTS\WIN9x subdirectory.

HTH!

--James

As mentioned in the title, it's a Win98 workstation. Why would the server indicate that the password given is not acceptable for the domain. It works OK from every other workstation.

why dont you try creating new account for her..? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Thanks for all the replies. Out of desperation, I did change her password, and then require her to change it again when she next logged in. She changed it back to same as it was to begin with, and now she can log into her own machine again.
I'm going to look into the part of the Active Directory Client, as suggested. I'd really like to know what really caused and fixed the problem. It didn't make sense to me that one day she could log in, and the next day not. But she could log into any other machine, and anyone else could log into hers.

try deleteing her .PWL file - this is a password file for Windows 9x. Have her change her password again and then logoff and log back in.

HTH!

--James

This is getting weirder. I changed her password at the W2K server, and required her to change it when she logged back in. She did that. And she changed it to her original password. This worked OK for 2 days. Now she can't log in again. [BTW, I did delete the .pwl file the first day. Thanks for the suggestion, but it had no affect on this domain rejection]

And now it won't allow her to log in at her machine, even when I change the password, as it worked before. But she can still log in from other machines in the office.

Don't make yourself crazy. Pc's are stupid. Get her another pc, take hers to your desk, and keep trying to come up with a fix logging on as her. I've got a W2K machine I use for rites problems only. If you can't get her a different pc, try upgrading her to w2k. (What are the other os's that she can lon onto? 98 also?) Try making her an admin just long enough to see if it has any affect. Also, just one Server? If you have more than one, your changes may not be replicating. (Can you tell I've had to deal with rites issues in the past?) Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

Been there, done that.

i had to work on a company with 7 locations with around 70 computers, and the network was cursed, poorly designed using HP VG network, and had to fix everything from the ground up by myself, burn out my brain.

it was not fun, but it is good to keep a couple of PC just trying out problem like Glen said, it helped a lot.

Quote of the day........"Give the laziest man the hardest job, and he'll find the easiest way to do it!"

[pipe] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

Hello,

We had them same issue when Win98 clients validate with Win2K Server accounts are set to expire passwords every 90 days, The problem Win98 will not sync the with domain passwords, thus the user will have two passwords the new one for the domain and the old one for the win98.
Workaround: Disable Password Caching... On the win98 pc's this will prevent pwl files from being created locally.

Instructions: Start regedit
Hkey_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Policies>Network

Goto Edit>New>DWord

DWORD NAME: DisablePwdCaching
Value Data: 1

Exit Regedit, Find all *.pwl files then delete.
Restart

Hope this helps.

In the users account information, in Active Directory add the user to "Pre-Windows 2000 Compadable Access". If that doesnt work then i cant help you bro. Keep it real!

find autologon in win98 regedit, and delete
restart the Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back