Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can't I use Design view? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirth

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2003
US
I'm using Dreamweaver 2004 MX. Recently, I noticed that both the "Design" and "Split" buttons are greyed out; I can only work in Code view. I'm also unable to change the view by using the corresponding entries under "Edit" on the toolbar. So, does anyone out there know what I might have done to disable Design view, and how I might fix it?

Thanks!

Well, I've done a little more troubleshooting, and I've found that this problem is limited to only .cfm documents. I can create .html and .php docs and edit them in Design view with no problem. If I then change the extension to .cfm, the "Design" button is immediately greyed out. If I create a brand new .cfm file, "Design" is also greyed out.

Hope this helps someone help me.

Thanks!

hello

kinda a shot in the dark here but:

if you go to
Edit -> Preferences -> File Types/Editors take away
.cfm or .cfc from "Open in Code View:", anything in there will open in code view automatically (and lose support for design view)

good luck with it

frainbreeze

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.

Well, I don't know how, when, or why I would have changed that setting, but that did the trick. I even looked at that option before, but I assumed that you would still have access to Design View, even if the doc opened up in Code View.

Anyway, thank you very much, frainbreeze. Now I can get back to work....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back