Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can't I see other computers....and they cant see me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik5104

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
US
ok, i have a win2k pro machine on my network....im running win2k server as my server. i have a winxp pro machine and a win me machine on my network as well.....the server, the winxp pro, and the win me systems can all see each other...by this i mean they can ping each other,and see as well as use each others shared resources. however none of the computers can see my win2k pro machine. not even the server.....also the win2k pro machine cannot see any of the other machines on the network...none of them....however it can gain access to the internet, which is shared on the server.......but the win2k pro machine cannot ping any of the other systems...or the server any suggestions? :-/ thanx in advance ;-)

Erik

IP adresses and subnets match ?

sounds like the workstations are on 1 subnet, and the 2k machine are on another...

hope this helps,
Jon. :)
----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

Either
1.) You don't have a WINS server specified (if that's what you're using)

OR

2.) You might need to install NetBEUI (if you don't have WINS) Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net
AKA Nick Burns - Your Company's Computer Guy
"Would you like me to save your game of Minesweeper first?"

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

Do you have DNS installed on the WIN2k Server? Are you using DHCP to specify DNS server address? Can you: Ping Servername and have it resolve to the correct address?

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back