Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why can't I control where the cell dividers of my tables go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

backspin

Technical User
Mar 13, 2002
US
I'm working on a site that has to be handicapped accessible, which means I can't use my beloved layers. So I'm trying to do the whole thing using a table to control the layout. But whenever I split a cell or row & then try to move the borders to set the size, the border jumps right back where it was before. I've tried manually setting the dimensions in the control panel with no luck. I set the cell padding to 0, so that isn't the reason.

Also, if there are two colums w/ two rows each, I can't make one row size independent of the other; for example, if the top left cell is set to be 140 px in height, all the cells in that row are 140px high, & I can't make the next one smaller or larger--they all move together.

Is there any way to control this?

HEY--just found something: can I build the page using layes & then use the CONVERT > Layers to Tables command? It's not as clean, I know (code-wise), but will it come up all right in both browsers? Can I cheat, Can I? Pleeeese?

Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes you can't.

I started using layers, went back to doing nested tables.

set up the overall page in a table, with biiiiiig cells - set to percentage.

Then do tables inside the cells

much much easier - but not to lead you on and say it'll look lovely in something like Opera.

Not perfect but
friendly
very friendly
"I like a man who grins when he fights."

-- Prime Minister Winston Churchill

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back