Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can't anyone answer this? Browser program launch..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dane775

Technical User
Oct 28, 2004
CA
I'm a dummy but none of the smart people I hang with get this either..(they keep trying help me associate files through windows explorer). Two weeks ago my PC did this:

I click on an .mp3 file posted on the Internet...(i.e. via *internet* explorer) - IE would launch WinAmp.

I click on an .mp3 file on my hard drive (i.e. via *windows* explorer) - windows would launch MusicMatch.

Without a long explanation - that's the way I want it. Now...after installing and uninstalling IE 7.0, MusicMatch launches.

I don't see anything in browser options..my guess is I'll need to start digging through the registry.

Any assistance or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....Dane

I don't think I made myself very clear.

Since the IE 7.0 install/uninstall...MusicMatch launches regardless of whether I'm clicking files on the Net...or on my Hard drive.

When I first asked this question Monday of some friends...I thought it would be fairly simple. Everyone keeps trying to tell me how to associate programs with files on my PC.

Now I'm starting to think this will be a well hidden browser option...or something I have to get into the registry to resolve.

Once again....thanks in advance for any help...

Code:
Everyone keeps trying to tell me how to associate programs with files on my PC.
I assume from your post that you already know how to associate files but your computer isn't doing what you want it to do.
What application is actually associated to file type .mp3 on your computer?

Keith

There seems to be 2 associations related to MP3's - Open & Play. They are probably both set to use MusicMatch. You could try setting the 'Open' function to WinAmp, but I'm not sure if this will work. In windows Explorer, Folder Options, Tools, File types tab, MP3, Advanced button, Open, Edit button.

If that doesn't do it, there may have been some add-in that hooked WinAmp to IE that might not be functioning or compatible after the upgrade.

Thanks for the responses gang...been out for a few days.

2 weeks ago, if I clicked on an mp3 on my desktop MusicMatch would start and play the file.

If I clicked on an mp3 on the Internet - WinAmp would start and play the file.

Now MusicMatch starts for everything.

I intend to start digging through the registry, but I keep getting distracted..(and I thought sure it would be something simple).

P.S....the more I read my subject line, the worse it sounds. I was trying to come up with something that would get peoples attention, but when I read it...it sounds kinda rude..(wasn't my intention).

Later all..

Something to try, if you haven't already...

In Add/Remove, go to Set Program Access and Defaults. In the media player section, remove the check mark for use current and then go to the web and click a media file. Maybe it will ask you what app you want to use and save the setting for the browser. Maybe :)

Nevermind.....I just went to look and it's not a checkbox. I thought it was. Sorry :-(

Oh well...it was a thought...

I *will* fix this some day. Unfortunately, a ton of stuff has come up at work and home and I'm only getting a few minutes of free time here and there.

There are several people who have asked me to tell them what I find..(not sure if they've got the same issue, or if they're just curious)...I'll tell them right after I post here..*smile*

Thanks for the try...

Dane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back