Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can only one person can access DB at a time? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMJ

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
US
I was required to install a MS Access application that was used in another office. It does exactly what our originally DB did (the one I developed here), but it has more pictures and our boss likes the 'snappy' look.

Anyway, the problem is that when one user opens the frontend, no one else is able to access the information. I know that only one user can modify a single record at any one time, but this blocks ALL access to the data (the Data.MDB file).

Can anyone tell me where to start looking for a solution to this? We used to be able to have up to five personas at one time making changes, or looking up information. now we can only have ONE - this isn't working out!

Please let me know where to look for a solution to this.

Thank you.

All users must have the rights/permissions to create and delete files in the folder on your server. If the first user in the application can't create an ldb file in the directory then all additional users will be read-only.

Creating and deleting files is like being able to turn the lights on and off in a room with no windows. If the first user is able to turn the lights on (create an ldb file which manages record locking) then all other users will be able to see who is doing what (editing records and such). When the last person leaves the room, he/she must be able to turn the lights off (delete the ldb file).

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back