Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why are my pages all disjointed when viewing from another computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigella

Programmer
May 9, 2002
GB
I published my website and all seemed to be well but when I viewed it from another computer all the pages were mis-aligned with photos overlapping text and gifs not centred exactly as I wanted them etc. However someone in Austrailia wo viewed my site said it looked fine. I have seen instructions on web pages saying 'you may need to adjust your browser' -does this have anything to do with it?

Yes, web sites can appear completely different depending on the user's browser. The browsers identify themselves [by way of the user agent string] when accessing the site and the site serves up the content depending on the browser. Browser differences and even browser settings can make a tremendous difference.

The Old Man

Like TheOldMan346 said, browsers have a lot to do with it. IE and Netscape clash spectacularily. If you do something in IE, chances are it'll flop when viewed on Netscape. Settings can also cause problems, along with screen size and screen resolution. What's the address of the site, maybe I can check it over and try to see what exactly is going wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back