Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why are my index's bunched after table creation with phpMyAdmin 2.3.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCO

Programmer
Oct 2, 2001
US
Hi, thanks a lot for reading my post. When I create new tables in my MySql database online using the phpMyAdmin2.3.2, after I create the table and go to the "Structure" part to look at everything, the fields I checked off as an index are all buched into one keyname. For example, I create fields x, y and z and check off index for them, then when I look at the structure page and scroll down the the indexes section, it will just have x as the keyname, but it will have x,y,z in the field part. I want x, y and z to be their own index. So I "drop" the indexes and individually click on the "index" link in the "Actions" area of the "Structure" page for x, y and z. After I do that, the table showing the index's have three separate keynames for x, y, and z. I'm not really sure what is the difference between the two scenarios(one keyname with x,y,z as field name OR x,y,z each having their own keyname). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time...Kevin

hi

this feature - creating one index containing multiple columns - is normal when using phpMyAdmin
look at the code when creating table, there is always only one INDEX keyword
to create multiple indexes you have to create them manualy in phpMyAdmin or use you own sql code

to get more info on indexes look here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back