Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whole wireless network - Not work for one minute, work's the next min

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I put in a wireless network which consist's of 5 wireless computer's that access a wireless router. I used 128 WEP, and every 1 or two minutes, every computer will loose connection at the same time, for about 1 or 2 minutes. This happens all day long. Each client say's it has excellent signal strength when it's connected.

What can I do to fix this?

What os are they running? If it is XP and it has SP1 then try turning off Wireless Zero Configuration in services. If you turn it off and the network goes down then you have to turn it back on for the adapters to see the AP's.

Also see it there is a firmware upgrade for the router. It may solve the problem.

All computers are running xp home edition. I don't think they have sp1, but could be wrong.

If they don't have SP1, I highly recommend you install it, as it addresses a number of network issues in XP. Also check for firmware upgrade as previously mentioned.

Try UNchecking the 802.1x autentication on the wireless tab of your adapters. If you are only using WEP you don't need that checked and it causes this problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back