Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whole Disk Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterlyttle

Technical User
Nov 6, 2006
GB
Hello,

I know next to nothing abot Mac's but I have been asked to look into Whole Disk Encryption for the Mac OS X operating system. Does anyone here use such a product, if so what is it?

Any help is much appreciated.
Peter

I'm no expert on this but conceptually there are problems. You'd need a decryption app to decrypt the system so that it could load. I doubt that is possible. Then, you will encounter slow response as everything on the system must be decrypted.

There are other ways to secure your files.

The first way is through Apple's 'File Vault' feature. This lets the user secure their home folder.

The second way is my preferred method. I create a disk image file that requires a password to mount. In this disk image, I keep my secure data. Other data that does not need to be secured remains in my home folder. This results in better performance since decryption is not required for all my files.

If possible, it would be best to visit an Apple store (weekday – less busy) and ask about the File Vault feature mentioned by Jim above.

Mac is far more “modular” than Windows, allowing things to be installed in many places. All applications, fonts, documents, and just about anything else can be installed directly in a user’s home folder if desired, which can be protected by file vault. That keeps everything, except the basic OS, encrypted.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Ah right, the reason behind the whole disk encryption was that users can save information anywhere on the drive and it will be protected, rather than them having to remember to save it in a specific folder. I've just come across PGP as it supports Macs but I cant say I was too keen on the Windows product.

Just an FYI, PGP for Mac will not encrypt the boot partition, only secondary and attached devices.

The built in file vault in OSX will protect the users whole folder. That includes everything BUT the basic os. User accounts can be set so they cannot access anything but their home folder. Therefore, everything is protected.

If you can't go to an Apple store, you should go to the Apple site and search for "file vault" to read more about it.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back