Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who Moved my folder on Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

aBill

MIS
Sep 24, 2002
US
Ok, here is an interesting question that I hope someone can answer although I tink I might know the answer already.

I have a Windows 2000 Server, sp3. On this server is a shared folder containing a ton of stuff, including a large subfolder tree.

Last night, someone "accidentally" moved a folder into a another subfolder. I expect that this is a simple drag mistake in the glorious Windows Explorer.

My question is this... Is there a way to track which user made this blunder so he can be properly chastised? This would be great to know for future information.

Like you said it was probably a SIMPLE drag/drop mistake which we've all done so don't be too hard on that person (unless he's a repeat offender then rip him a new one ;-).

If you go into the security properties of that folder and then click advanced. You have auditing options you can turn on. The actions you set to audit will appear on the event logs.

Not sure if the audit will give you the information you need but you can give it try.

I've had the same problem sometimes. I've had users accidentally move entire years of projects into subfolders. I looked into the auditing feature in the security tab but I didn't see anything that could help determine what user moves a folder.

If anyone knows how to log this, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back