Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who modified a DBO???

Status
Not open for further replies.

nivlac

Technical User
May 9, 2001
US
Well, I guess this is my day for questions! I have a secure database that has 13 users. Only the 3 admins have rights to see the objects in design view. However, all 3 of these people were out of the office at a time when 2 of my forms were modified! How can I find out which user modified the forms? If I can't get that, is there a way to see which computer the changes were made on? Even our I.S. guys say it can't be done, but I just don't buy that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
nivlac
ruchsa@samcstl.org

The short answer is your IT guys are correct. The longer answer is that your security system is NOT protecting the db -at least in the manner you think it should. This is / can be VERY dificult to analyze and there are numerous paths you will need to persue. A FEW of the possabilities:

One of the Admins was accessing the db (may not ahve been in the Office?).

One of the admins is lazy and has set up their db access via an icon on the desktop -COMPLETE with the workgroup and password- and this has been "leaked" to (or used by) others?

You did NOT follow all of the recommended steps (like creating a NEW workgrooup file -WITH a different NAME for your security).

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Michael,
Thanks for the tips. Apparently the security does NOT protect my db like I expected it to. I'll work on tightening some of the weak spots. The db WAS created using ALL of the recommended steps, including the new workgroup (wouldn't have it any other way around this place!) I still have a lot to learn, though. Tek-tips is quite valuable to me.

Appreciate the help!
nivlac

You might want to start by intantiating a "user log", capturing each user and their log on times. This is reasonably easy. To capture the log off is a bit more difficult, but you can get close by disabling ALL exits - except your prefered method / location. AND doing an inactivity time out. You STILL end up w/ 'gaps', as anytime the system crashes - you don't get the log out process.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back