Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who is the Best Manufacturer of Dual Channel Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

firewolfrl

Technical User
Dec 1, 2002
US
I am looking to upgrade my ram and I want to know the best manufacturer of Dual channel (prefer overclock heatsink style ram) DDR 512 pc3200
so many companies out there...I want good tech support and stable good quality ram for under $150

I also want a good CAS Latency that will be good on the benchmarks

I usually buy ram for my clients and I have had good luck with Corsair

but now this is for my own machine and I want some good specs.

Now if I could get a car to run as good as my computer

firewolfrl
Dual channel just means two matched modules of ram, manufactures sell "dual channel kits" only so they can gaurantee that both the modules in that kit are the same.

Personally I would recommend OCZ but at $150 it would be the OCZ Premium range if you want a gig.

With a lifetime return gaurantee that cannot be bettered.

If you want the lowest timings at PC3200 DDR400 speeds you need the more expensive OCZ Gold or Platinum.

My Gold has Winbond BH5 chips and runs a Low 2-2-2-5 @ CL2 with 1T timings, DDR400 speed, set at 1.85volts.

One side note* if you want these low timings your board must be capable of some memory overvolting
(default 1.65volts) has to be increased to achieve system stability on this type of fast low latencey memory (not just this make) Geil, Corsair XMS, Kingston HyperX etc all need more volts to achieve their fastest settings.

This is not overclocking as such, as my particular memory apparently can run upto 2.4volts but performance requires more power and so some adjustments have to be made to run optimally.
At default memory voltage the settings would have to be looser which kind of defeats the onject of running this memory.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

This is what I would recommend:

Low latency and a lot of room to overclock. Probably one of the best options around for the price.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thanks paparazi and cdogg ....LOL...I am asking about the dual channel because that is what my board prefers (manufacture recommendations) that and Dual channel is FAST... Hee Hee

paparazi I have plenty of tweaking capabilities...for the most part I don't overclock ...but sometimes I get a wild hair ...the trick I found was just to buy a nice MB

right now I am running a Gigabyte GA-7N400 pro2
with 2X512 dual channel PC2700
and a 2.4 gig AMD (though I am an ABIT fan)

hey its been a pretty stable system ....

I gotta make some money so I can buy a new board and cpu ...for some reason the wife doesn't think expensive computer parts are high on the priority list to buy.
LOL
thanks for the help so far...I will post what I find and what I get

ah! paparazi you are right about the voltage...I can tweak the voltage a little bit but not as much as I want.
I guess the best I can do on this MB is to max the voltage settings when I get the ram...
on a side note. what do you think on the specs of this board...I am thinking of trying it.
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe nVidia Socket 939 Motherboard

with a
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and the ram that has been suggested

cdogg that OCZ Gold is over £160 in the UK whatever that is is USD, your lot have it sorted on prices lol

Only thing is we can buy an OEM (brown box) Asus A8N SLI Deluxe for £99.00 think thats slightly cheaper when worked out into USD, weired!!

That aside this board is generally accepted as being one of the top socket 939 boards available, as long as you are not a seriously mad overclocker, that honour goes to DFI's top SLI board which has some very high voltage options in the bios so is favoured by the O/C fraternity.

I've used both and the Asus is better for the average home user, just my opinion.

Of course if you never intend to buy two SLI compatible graphics cards then there are lots of cheaper options with the one 16X PCI-e slot and with all the features you're ever likely to need.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back