Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who is logged on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianb000

MIS
Dec 14, 2004
US
Is there a way I can find out what username is logged onto a XP Pro workstation using either the computer name or IP address of the workstation? I tried the nbtstat -a command in DOS and it doesn't show a username. Active Directory doesn't list a username on the computer name properties.

This might be ugly but it should work. Map the pc from the run prompt by typing "\\PCNAME\c$" less the quotations, where PCNAME = whatever name is assigned to the PC for which you are trying to see who is logged in. That should take you right to the root of the c: drive. From there you can drill down to the documents and settings folder which will list all the users who have logged onto that PC along with the date and time. Sort by date modified and see who the last user to logon was.

I'm sure there is an easier way that perhaps someone with more knowledge than myself can provide to you but that should get you what you need ugly as it is hehe.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

It will be shown in the Set command as an environmental variable.

You can use Shared Folders/ Session, in Computer Management, to view a summary of connections and resource use for local and remote computers.

You can also use the "Net Session" command from a Command Prompt.

If you use Home folders, it could be as simple as looking in My Computer for the home folder name. MS typically maps Z: for you, but we turn that off and use our own letter.

i second wcburton. sysinternals has mobs of good stuff for free.

cheers!

matthew pepple

--
matthew pepple <dot> com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back