Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who here has *golden ears* 4621sw or 5420 sound quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

chefwong

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2006
US
I am researching the IPO suite of products.
If using IP phones and calling OUT via the pri, will I need a VCM module? Or is the VCM module mainly for remote IP phones over a VPN ?

In addition, if qos, quality switchs, vlan, etc is setup properly with the 4620SW running on G711 codec, is there a noticable SOUND Quality with the IP phones as opposed to traditional Digital phones like the 5420 ?

Yes you do need a vcm card... the number of vcm ports will be the number of simultaneous calls you can make with you ip phones (and or soft phones)on the pri...

As far as for sound quality, i had very good results... But then again it varied from one client to another, even with the same configs.

Yaze.
Chaos, Panic and Disorder, my work here is done.

I would still go for digital phones over ip phones, knowing you have the same functionalities, and you don t have to worry about pending problems when installing on location.

Yaze.
Chaos, Panic and Disorder, my work here is done.

Whilst IP Phones are all the rage, within a small site they have no advantages over traditional TDM digital phones and come with the potential of problems, for example your statement "if qos, quality switchs, vlan, etc is setup properly" contains an "if" whereas for TDM phones itsjust a case of wiring correctly and having a port.

The if's are mostly so that you wont get blamed for saying it would work on their network.
Usually it runs fine even without all the "requirements".
But still, wouldn't install IP phone over Digital phones if I could choose.

"Humm, saying that with a 5610 at my desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back