Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who has CCDP? Why? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

MIS
Apr 7, 2001
US
I've read the Cisco website.

Now what I'm looking for is the Real World answers.

Why do CCDP instead od (or even in addition to) CCNP?

Any training lab suggestions will also be very gratefully received!

Regards,

JTB
Senior Infrastructure Consultant
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

CCNA and Net+ are similar--I'd recommend the MCP stuff, unless you have a potential employer to get recommendations from. I have both because of a change in direction here at work...

Remember, certs may not always mean much to other IT folks--but it does offer some evidence of what you _say_ you know... and studying for the tests gives you a chance to see if that's what you really like to do...

Before you start plunking down hundreds of dollars for more paper to join your AA (AS?), I'd look around at want ads, recruiting houses, etc to see what folks want. Then, I'd follow my advice in other threads and read "What Color is Your Parachute?" (available anywhere) and figure out how to find or create the job I wanted...

But that's just me... ;-) JTB

CCDP.. Design Profession.. this means that you should understand the basics and advanced concepts of *designing* a network.. not just configuring routers or installing equipment. Too many people claim to design networks and afterwards, one just shakes one's head at the mess they left.

I have found even the CCDA to be of use in meetings about network direction/planning etc.. the word DESIGN carries a bit of weight with many people.

I would love to see a CCDE cert.. It's not enough to just be able to wire up a network from boxes.. it's much more involved to design it.. taking in account NT issues, Unix issues, wiring issues, budget constraints, future growth even when the client insists that NOTHING will grow in the next 2 years.. unhuh.. sure.. and I have a bridge to sell you ;-)

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

that's a good question... really. why not just go for the IE? compared to the IE, chasing the DP seems similiar to frolicking...

CCIE takes years and is really worth it. But for those of us who have jobs that tangentially involve routers, switches, and other Cisco products (i.e., those of us who are mere mortals), the 'NP and 'DP are nice targets to "shoot for"...

;-) JTB

There is a night and day difference from CCNP to CCDP.
I made my way from pc tech(no cert) to Chief Technical Officer(CCIE written, CCDP, CCNP, MCSE+I, CSE) and can tell you that the certifications do more than impress employers.

The knowledge gained from studying for, and passing, the CCDP is priceless. Designing a network is a very critical part to any functional environment. If this task is undertaken by anyone without the training and/or experience, it will be a disaster for those maintaining it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back