Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who determines incoming call flow on PRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlandsniceguy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2010
US
I am getting 2 different answers from my LEC and my Vendor on who determines incoming and outgoing call flow on the PRI's.
We have a BCM450 with 2 PRI circuits each within its own trunk group.
We have 2 DTM-PRI cards in BCM with the 2 circuits each in its own card.
Our LEC says we are configured to use one PRI as our primary for all incoming and outgoing calls. The second PRI is a backup in case the first PRI fails.
This appeared to be valid up until I wanted to test the second card in the BCM. I swapped the 2 circuits by simply unplugging them and moving them to the opposite card.
Now I get all incoming calls on one circuit and all outgoing on the second circuit.
So based on this who is controlling the flow?

Incoming is typically controlled by the LEC. Outgoing is controlled by your routes, destination codes and line pool configurations.

Biv is correct. But having a 2nd PRI for back up is expensive to have it just sitting. It should be set up as both PRI's in the same pool for otbound and the CO should program it so if there are 23 inbound calls it over flows to the 2nd pri on the 24th or more calls.

Cook1082 has it summed up but don't forget to change your public min & max from 0 & 23 to 0 & 46. This way your incoming will come in on channel 1 down & your outbound will go from 46 up. You can have your LEC restrict the incoming traffic on various DID's if you are worried about certain #'s causing to much incoming traffic.I have a Taxi company that does that or the incoming traffic would tie up to many channels & they would not be able to call out at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back