Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who can help me on this basic C3600 issues ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instructor
May 18, 2003
DE
Hello,

i recently bought an older HP Visualize C3600. The price was ok for the tests i wanted to do.

This machine is equipped with a fx4 graphics card using a EVC plug. So i bought an EVP --> DVI adapter and connected my LCD Panel (1280 x 1024). Unfortunately i can not see any output.

Now i though it might be better to connect to serial interface #1 to setup the environment, but no connection as well.

However, the machine seems to work ... it obviously read a HP-UX CD and boots until it displays "RUN F0F1:" which obviously represents a fine status.

But i still can not see anything on my monitor nor can i connect via a terminal connection. Can anybody help?

did you try a nullmodem cable for the serial connection?

Yes, i did. Isn't this strange?

Hello,

I presume you already thought of this, but further checking the obvious:
Do you know, which settings you will need for the serial line connection, like baude rate and parity?
And if you don't, did you try various settings?

regards

...sounds like the GRAPHICS variable needs to be reset. When the system is booting, notice when your keyboard Num Lock led lights up, then hit the Enter/Return key once, (just one time), which will cause the system to poll for a new graphics monitor and will set the variable accordingly. It will seem like nothing is happening, but leave it for up to a minute, and you should see something on your lcd screen.

Now, I don't know too much about an EVP-DVI adapter, but I do know for a fact that an EVC-VGA adapter always works with an fx4 graphics card. If you can get this type of adapter to work, just use that, (assuming your lcd monitor also has a vga connector).

If changing the GRAPHICS monitor setting with the Enter/Return key doesn't do the trick, you'll need an RS-232 terminal monitor to hook up to the back of the C3600 and get a display that way, THEN change the variable via this terminal instead. This also assumes you have the keyboard that attaches directly to the terminal monitor, not the back of the unit. Confused yet? :)

Bottom line, make sure you don't have any usb keyboard or mouse connections when doing the RS-232 monitor check since the system will simply not boot, nor will it allow you to change that variable.

Email me if you still can't get this resolved...k? Thanks.

Hi dag219,

in the meantime, after a lot of investigations, i found the problem: Although the graphics adapter has a DVI-style connector, it uses analog output.

With the correct adapter cable, which was very hard to get, and using the analog input og my LCD screen, the installation of HP/UX was not problem at all.

Thank you anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back