Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

White background on logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcoombs

Technical User
May 6, 2006
GB
I have created a logo graphic in Corel Draw which I have on my website. The logo is saved as a png file.

The website has the logo on a white background, this is fine. I wanted to put the logo onto a grey banner. When I do this the logo appears as if it is on a white square.

Obviously in creating the logo I have produced it on a white page background. Is it possible to create it on a "clear" background so that if I re-save it as a png file and import it to my website I can place it on any coloured background without seeing the white square.

I hope this makes sense

Mike

Create the entire banner (with your logo) in CorelDraw and then export it as a .gif file.

Thanks for the suggestion. This would work in the short term

One of the things I want to do long term however is have the logo on diffeent pages within the site and on different documents.

Any ideas as to how I produce the logo, or export it, with a clear or transparent background would be appreciated.

Mike

In X3 if you export as a PNG you have the option in the dialog box to save it with a transparent background, try it, it may not get rid of all the white, but turning off anti-aliasing may help.

If the suggestion about the dialog box with the transparent background doesnt work for you (if you have white in your logo) then you can also open the image in Photopaint, mask off the area you want to show, and export as a *.gif image - be sure to select "Masked Area" in the transparency section. If you don't want to work with a masked area, you can also create a new object from the masked area and copy that new object to clipboard - then File -> New from Clipboard. This will make the image the same size as its bounding box.

Hi there.

In the Export to PNG Process, in the last window before the export take place, you have the transparency option, where you can set the colour you want to be transparent. Choose Image Color option button and set the background color as transparent by clicking on it with the eyedropper tool.

The same can be done in the Export to gif process.

Makiavel,

Thanks for the advice,

This doesn't seem to work. The problem I have is that when I select Image Color I am unable to change the colour. However when I select Masked Area I can change the colour. This eliminates the white square however part of the logo itself has a white section which I also wish to make transparent - this remains white.

I actually use Corel Draw Essentials 2 which I beleive is a modified version of Corel Draw 11. Could this be why I am unable to change the colour when selecting Image Color.

Mike

You may be looking at the file in Internet Explorer v6, which doesn't properly support transparent PNG files. So, even if you get the correct permutations for transparency in Corel, you won't actually see it in IE6.

There's a suggested fix which for the IE6 bug I've mentioned at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back