Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

While Loops Vs Cursors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwolds

Programmer
Aug 6, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am currently working on a solution to a problem using Table Variables and While Loops. It is quite a complex solution and, though not experienced, I think it could be done more neatly with a cursor.

In very general terms are there many occasions where it would be better to use a Cursor instead of While Loops?

Thanks
Jon

cursors are very inefficient so I would say - and many more in the forum would back me up on this - avaoid them whenever you can. The only time I would consider using them is on very small sets of data.

[bandito] [blue]DBomrrsm[/blue] [bandito]

Agree in general, though both methods initiate row-based logic.

What people often forget is to declare cursor type - for example, to use static/read_only cursor when possible.

In the book Advanced Transact-SQL for SQl Server 2000, (by Ben Gan and Moreau), they state that while loops generally outperform cursors. I haven't actually tried this because I don't use cursors at all. If you have a large data set you might try it both ways and see. But in all honesty the only time I've ever needed to use a cursor was to call system stored procedures for multiple objects.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back