Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which way to fit my case fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

xathras

Technical User
May 8, 2003
GR
Sorry guys if I am in the wrong forum. I did a search in forums for overclocking.

This has got to be the most lame question you may have had but which way should my case fan at the back of my case face, I have been told before its important which way it faces.

Can anyone help.

Generally with airflow out.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I mean which way does the label of the cooler face.

To the outside of the case or the inside?

If you will look closely you will find an arrow showing flow.
You can also deduce flow from the curvature of the blades.

Counting on the label to go to the outside should work, but the rotation and airflow arrows are the bible.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

well my case fan is a little unhelpful can tell its cheap.

I believe that the blades circle shape goes inwards is this correct.

clock wise motion blows the air. while anti clock wise sucks the air out

Plug it in, turn it on stick your hand close to it. Make a deduction, mount as ed said.

Thanks xentraz after looking at my case its motion is anti-clockwise is this good for a case fan at the back of the case.

You can tell I haven't really looked into cooling before

a fan in the back of your computer is a fan. not too much of a big deal unless you really have some heat issues or are a big time overclocker. if it can be attached either way, make it so the air blows out. plug it in before attaching it and see which way the air flows (like franklin said), then attach it so it blows out. simple. and when it comes to 'good fans', most anything you buy anymore will work fine and blow air. no big deal, dont stress it =)

Ideally you would want to balance a rear exhaust fan with a front intake fan to balance the airflow - note that you already have one (weak) exhaust in your PSU.

It's a minor point if you're not overclocking, but too much air flowing in one direction can actually cause the temperature inside the case to rise. ie, you're blowing warm air out of the back, but cool air is not coming in to replace it, so you get negative air pressure, resulting in a kind of warm vacuum.

Hope this is useful

What style case do you have?
If it is a tower case, a fan near the top should exhaust warm air out of the case, while one located near the bottom should be putting fresh cooler air into the case.
One thing is a given "Heat rises".

I have a tower case, its only a cheap thing at the moment!

Going to have a look at getting a new new case and motherboard as I only have a cheap gigabyte 7zxe.

maybe a chieftec or antec case which look all the same to me. Plenty of room for some fans. I believe the better the cfm (cubic feet metre) the better the fans are, mind saying the i suppose i will suffer with plenty of noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back