Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which version

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderChyld

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2004
GB
We have just bought Windows Server 2003 Web edition and need to get SQL Server installed on there.

Could anyone tell me which version I should be using?

I have borrowed a CD off a friends company to try it out (Don't worry, I do intend to actually buy it) and it's the Standard edition which wont install.

However one of the discs says Personal edition on it and according to MS web site this version should work but again it won't install.

When it tries to install the usual Installshield box briefly pops up but then vanishes and nothing else happens.

There are no error messages and the Event Log dosen't mention it at all?

Sorry if this seems a bit obvious to some of you but our usual IT man is off and I'm covering for another week before he is back.

Thanks

Sarah

I did download the eval version. But it wouldn't install which is what started this whole thing off in the first place and made me go and borrow a copy :-(

In fact, after checking Microsoft's site further it seems the only version that works with Windows 2003 Web Edition is SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition and SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE)

Wish I'd read that before I spent ages downloading 275 Mb of evaluation nonsense.

So I suppose my question now is does anyone know why the Personal edition I have borrowed wont install?

Well, for anyone who's interested, I've just confirmed with Microsoft that there is in fact no version of SQL Server that will run on Windows 2003 Web Edition [evil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back