Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which version to choose. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsterS

Programmer
Apr 24, 2001
US
I am considering using coldfusion as a development process for an application I am going to build. I have read two books on coldfusion and I believe I can probably do a fair job but I am not sure whether to buy the 5.0 version or the 6.0 version. What are the differences between the two versons.

Thanks
Jimsters

Ive used both and just upgraded to to 6. It has been better for me I think but it could be that I jumped from a server that had 4 200 Mhz chips to one that has 1.8 Ghz. Also take a look at Blue Dragon at They have a free cf server. Dont know how well it works but I have downloaded it and will be testing soon.

Unless you can find a used copy, you can't get 5.0 (or 6.0) any more. They quit making 5.0 a couple of years ago, and 6.0 had so many bugs that they replaced it with 6.1 about 6 -8 months ago. I've used every version of CF since 4.0, and so far MX 6.1 has impressed me the most with it's speed and performance. Not to say the others were bad, I've just noticed a few little perks with the new one. Plus, with MX 6.1, you have several new tags and capabilities that are not available in earlier versions. Not to mention that with the new version, you can get support, upgrade options, etc...

As far as Blue Dragon is concerned, while it may be free there are several features of CFMX 6.1 that it does not support, unless they have just recently put out a new version. So, there is the possibility that you can write your code for MX 6.1 and it may not work on Blue Dragon.

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

They just came out with a new Beta But Im not sure if that is supposed keep up with 6.1 or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back