Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which version of SQL Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolR

Programmer
Jun 9, 2000
US
Can someone give me a short description of the differences between the Enterprise, Standard and Desktop version of SQL7.0?  Also, is NT required for the Enterprise version? I think so but I need verification.  

NT Server Enterprise Edition is req for SQL Enterprise edition.&nbsp;&nbsp;You must have IE 4.01 (SP1) or better and Service Pack 4 (SP 4) or better installed with the enterprise edition of NT server as well.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Desktop edition is for an offline or &quot;unplugged&quot; version--think traveling salesmen etc.. for usage.&nbsp;&nbsp;Can also be used for a small server that has support for two processors.<br>Standard edition has support for up to four CPUs.&nbsp;&nbsp;MS inteded for this to be the &quot;standard&quot; usage for this product.&nbsp;&nbsp;(ie supports most of the tools etc...)<br>Enterprise edition supports up to 32 CPUs and clustering.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Hope this helps!

Dumb question:&nbsp;&nbsp;What do you mean by CPUs?&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm thinking that SQL Server 7.0 and our data will be one NT server, which will be accesed by around 50 computers.&nbsp;&nbsp;Do you think we can get along with the standard version or do we need the enterprise version?&nbsp;&nbsp;We have to swtich to SQL Server and our trying to figure out what we need.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks for any more help you can give me.

The standard version of SQL Server on Windows NT Server will work fine for 50 users. I have set-up a couple of servers for this sort of environment without any problems. Go for as much memory as you can - I usually go for at least 512Mb, and a couple of CPU's (processors) of as high a speed as possible. A RAID 5 is a definate must as fast disk access is essential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back