Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which version of MDAC do you package with VB6

Status
Not open for further replies.

bashless

Technical User
May 3, 2002
US
Hello;

I was looking at the Microsoft MDAC support site, and trying to determine which version of MDAC do I need to include in my redist folder. It appears that the PDWizard will not update the MDAC_TYP.exe to the latest, so that has to be done manually. Now what version of MDAC is the best to drop on the client....does it make any difference if you are not using any data bound controls?

Thanks...

It depends what provider you are using.

If you are using DA0 3.6 and JET 4.0 then ship MDAC 2.5
If you are using ADO then Ship MDAC 2.6 or higher.
If you are using ADO with Jet 4.0 then make sure that the developer PC has the lastest update of Jet 4.0 installed and the correct Jet dlls will (should) be picked up by the PDWizard.
The latest version is at the same site as the MDAC ( under the title of:

"All Languages for Microsoft Jet 4.0 SP3 Are Now Available for Download"

Put the MDAC in the
"C:\Programs\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist\" Path.
The PDWizard should pick this up, include it in the cabs, and automatically install it. If it doesn't include it, then during the PDWizard creation, add it to the list of files to ship and the P&D will automatically install it.
[/b][/i][/u]*******************************************************[sub]
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

OK, BUT !!!!

I have no idea what level the client has on the computer already. When the setup package executes, how do you test the MDAC level on the target pc and then only install the mdac if > somelevel?

Thanks...

Have you tried the newer Visual Studio Installer? I noticed when I ran a VSI-created package on a machine that wasn't up to date, it checked and informed me that I'd need to install MDAC. Probably said what version as well but I didn't pay close enough attention.

Why should a person use anything other than the most current version of MDAC?

It should not hurt anything to install say MDAC 2.5 over MDAC 2.7.

The different versions of ADO, Jet, etc., have different DLLs.

So if for a certain version of, say, ADO, a newer DLL exists in MDAC, it will be replaced the one on the client PC, and if the MDAC has the older version, it will not replace the one of the same version on the PC.
[/b][/i][/u]*******************************************************[sub]
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

I have run the VSInstall 1.1 and currently working on the the conditions for each task. My guess is that if the client updates the MDAC <I force them to click yes to proceed> that if they have an issue they just uninstall my package and the MDAC is undone? Somehow this seems like gray area.....how do I know whether the client will be able to roll back the MDAC update?

Thanks...

If you try to install mdac 2.5 on a machine running mdac 2.7 using P&D, it will not overwrite the mdac. I am pretty sure that even if you use something other than P&D the same will happen.

Because MDAC is a MS install package, it will check the current version and only install if the install version is newer.

Using P&D you should not have any issues.

>>&quot;..If you try to install mdac 2.5 on a machine running mdac 2.7 using P&D, it will not overwrite the mdac...&quot;

kbuc6: The MDAC file itself will not be overwritten by a lower version- this is correct.

But, the MDAC, regardless of version, will be executed by the P&D.
This (MDAC) is handled as an exception by the P&D. At the beginning of the setup process, P&D checks if the MDAC is anywhere in the SetUp.lst, and if so, it gets extracted and CreateProcess is ran to execute it. Then the MDAC will install any files it has that are not present on the client, or of newer version. [/b][/i][/u]*******************************************************[sub]
General remarks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back