Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which version of CRW to purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlohrey

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
US
Does anyone have thoughts on which version of Crystal Reports to use? The two are "Standard" and "Professional" and their website gives a list of the features, but I'd like someone else's input. The price difference is about $200. Do you really need professional to create pretty standard reports?
Thanks,
Nadine

There are 4 versions.

Which version you require is dependant upon your requirements, such as how you will use the reports, number of users, etc. If you just want to create reports, Standard might suffice.

Check out:

Or share your requiremetns and someone here will try to help you.

-k

Not sure what requirements, but most likely Standard will be fine. Thanks-

The standard edition of CR9 will only work with file based databases like DBF, Btrieve, MDB, etc.

If you require ODBC access or a client server DB, you will need the Professional Edition. This edition also includes RAS for web delivered reports (although only for 1 concurrent user)

If you are developing Windows Apps using CR as a component, then you wll need the Developer Edition. this edition comes with a 3 concurrent user RAS.

If you are into Web devleopment, Java support, etc. you will need the Advanced Edition.

I'd recommend the Pro edition. I don't sell anyone the Std edition as it's missing to much DB connectivity.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Chelsea: I think that ODBC and OLE DB is available for Access and SQL Server in the Standard version.

-k

To be honest, it may be worth your while to spend the extra $$ and go for professional. The limitation of Standard vs Pro extend beyond db access issues as was the case in the past. Standard supports ODBC access to "Personal Datasources".

Now with V9, Syd. does not include the ability to use the repository, which in itself can/couldbe a huge time saver if you are developing lots of reports with some commonality. There is also a limitation with custom fuctions..

You may want to have a look at this (and related)

Cheers,

SurfingGecko

Hey SurfingGecko,

What do you mean by "personal Datasources" ?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back