Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which UPS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGALINWALES

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
GB
HI,

Have a site that runs two servers and I need to put a UPS out there. Having never looked at Ups' before I was wondering if anyone could recommend a brand or even better a model.

All help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Alex

If it is mission critical, I would recomend BEST brand UPS's. We have been using one for about 12-15 years, and our batteries quit working one day about a year ago. We replaced the batteries, and were still getting alarms, under voltage conditions, etc. After contacting the company and doing some trouble shooting, they sent us a new main board, overnight (free shipping) and had us up and running in about 24 hours. Keep in mind, this model was discontinued at the time the board burned up.

They probably aren't the cheapest, as they are intended for heavy duty use. Ours takes four sealed batterys (bigger than a motorcycle, but smaller than a compact car) and will hold our load for several hours.

Depends on the servers and the OS. I prefer APC but have customers with several different brands. Get one that has reporting capability and load the software to shut down the server when power is getting marginal. Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi,
Have you determine the load rating of the 2 servers? Is it only the servers your customer intends to hook up to the UPS or there are other pheriperals, such as routers, hubs etc.
Next you have to determine which UPS company has a good reputation in servicing field in your area. Even you have some good brands but if the service is not available in your area then it is useless. APC has a lot of dealers through out the world, please check your local dealers listing.
If you need any help on determining the KVA rating do drop me a mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back