Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which UNIX would work best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbj999

Programmer
Jan 12, 2010
US
Sorry for the long story. I hope my plight is at least somewhat entertaining to you.

Okay, so I know I will get a lot of opinions, but really, I think I am interested in those opinions, along with the supporting reasons.

I've been programing forever (since I taught myself to program BASIC in high school on my TI-58, in the late 70's). I learned somewhere between 5 and 10 other languages along the way.

I currently use VFP 9 exclusively along with some very helpful tools (xCase, VFE, and SDT). This makes my daily life very easy. Clearly I am entrenched in MSware.

I have 5 computers at home, about 20 clients at work (some of which I built), and 5 servers (um, I also do all the networking stuff at work, as well as all the program design, implementation, training, etc.) All clients are currently WinXP and servers are a mix of 2003 and W2K Advanced Servers, running in Terminal Server mode (hence the XP clients. No additional licensing fees).

I use FireFox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice, so those are no problem, but I would like to be able to continue to run my current VFP apps on UNIX if possible. I know that this was possible at one point with WINE, but I understand that this violates the VFP EULA according to MS.

My long term goal is to develop in Python or Java, however, nothing seems to be as sweet as VFP at this point. I will need tools for those as well.

The fact that MS has decided to kill VFP is my major reason for leaving MS. Clearly they are not interested in me as a customer, only in creating customers who will pay them on a regular basis. Since I have no interest in handing over cash to them on a regular basis, they have no interest in me. Perhaps if they provided something of use for that cash I wouldn't be so pissed.

I've been thinking about looking an UNIX for a long time now, but it doesn't really have a unified interface to look at, so it's somewhat confusing for someone who doesn't have any exposure to it. I really need a starting point.

1) I would like a flavor, if possible, that I could use at work and at home.
a) If not just one, two that are close, if possible, would be nice.

2) At home I mostly do Adobe Photoshop, and some Video editing programs.

3) I VPN into work from Home. VPN is handled by the office VPN/Firewall/router.

4) One of the servers at work runs W2k Advanced server, in Terminal Server mode. What UNIX would be best for that?

5) VMware looks cool and all, however, my hardware has been around since before VMware, so it doesn't have the right memory structure for virtualization. If there is some virtualization software that doesn't require new hardware that would be cool.

6) My goal here is to move to a platform that works (is solid), is supported, does not have a million security issues, and is well thought out in it's interface, so I don't have to keep thinking "man that's dumb. why didn't they do it this way instead." or, at least, that is easily enough modifiable, so that I can fix those (hopefully minor) problems.

7) Clearly cost is an issue these days. That is the whole reason for leaving MS.

So, if you are still with me, thanks very much for your time. What do you think? Any ideas? Where should I start? I haven't a clue even as to how the different versions are different from each other. Worse, how those differences, subtle or otherwise, will effect my and my users day to day usage.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

My recommendation would be an enterprise-class Linux distribution, something like CentOS 5 perhaps, or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (of which CentOS is a free clone) if you wish to pay for some support?

About Q2, I'm not sure PhotoShop is available for Unix platforms? You may have to switch to GIMP. I have no idea about the Video Editing options available.

Q3 shouldn't be an issue.

Q4 VNC is a similar technology which is available for most flavours of Unix.

Q5 Not sure what you mean by "right memory structure"? What is a wrong memory structure for virtualisation? Consider also Xen, the native virtualisation available under Linux, and also VirtualBox.

Annihilannic.

I agree with Annihilannic, you'd be best served by getting exposed to Linux (lots of free material, study guides, support sites, etc. are available)
Since you have 5 machines, have you considered installing VMWare server under Windows and install a couple of Linux VMs that you can play with and break to your heart's desire.

As others have mentioned, Linux would be the best.
I personally use Linux & FreeBSD on my personal machines & servers.

We use OpenVPN on the BSD server (all Linux and OSX clients - oh, one guy is still on Windows)
You will have to see if your VPN client software will run on Linux/Unix.

I use VirtualBox when testing OS's.

Gimp has a PhotoShop plugin that makes it more familiar to PS users.

If you are into audio/video editing, try 64Studio Linux.
But the software can run on any Linux distro you choose.

You mentioned learning Python. Try Web2Py or Django if you intend doing web applications. I think Web2Py is great.

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

just wanted to echo others comments,

from reading your post i think your best bet would be to install virtualbox on an existing system and load up some Linux VM's to play with... my recommendations would be:

1. CentOS5(this is quite literally RedHat enterprise or RHEL with the branding stripped out of it) - what makes it good? It's RedHat Enterprise more or less, yum/rpm package management etc.. if you get into using Linux for work, need support contracts, other commercial software packages on a supported enterprise linux platform then redhat(centOS for testing) is your best bet. it works and works well..

2. Ubuntu(this is literally not RedHat enterprise).. if you're looking to "get into" linux then it doesn't get much more friendly than ubuntu.. plain and simple.. while both are linux, ubuntu is really geared to the easy side.. finding and installing random packages you'll read about on the net etc will be painless.. thats mainly why i like it, playing with software i rarely if ever have to go track down rpm's, find a repository or build my own once i decide i want to play with something... they have an ubuntu server edition but i've never used it.. I use RHEL at work and Ubuntu at home.

combine this with Virtualbox(.org) on an existing windows system and you've got a pretty quick and painless testbed for developing on Linux and just generally getting your feet wet... load 'em both up and use them for a week.

linux aint unix, strictly speaking. but then unix aint linux, either. so it's all a wash in the end, btw. :)

Thanks for the help guys. Just what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back