Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which task to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

aswolff

Programmer
Jul 31, 2006
US
Hi.

I am trying to figure what DTS tasks to use to accomplish the below scenario.

1. Query table/column A.JOBID where A.STATUS = PUSHED.

2. For each A.JOBID from query 1 set A.STATUS = PULLING.

3. Query oracle table B and insert into sql table C each record where B.STATUS = PULLING.

4. When 3 is done set each A.JOBID = PULLED.

My problem is how do I take the results of query1 and store them (as variables? parameters?) to be used in queries 2,3,4?

Thanks.

You can do 1 & 2 as a join, so you can miss a step out. It's been a while since I've used Oracle with SQLServer (and it was the other way round DTS to import Oracle data) so as it's bed time where I am I'll have to leave it as that for the minute.

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little. - Joe Martin

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

If you're trying to do a join across the two databases, you'll need to look into setting up a linked server as well. Because of syntax differences, you might be better off setting up a "staging table" on one database or the other, and doing the manipulation all in one place.

Is A an oracle or SQL Server table?

[small]----signature below----[/small]
I'm pushing an elephant up the stairs

My Crummy Web Page

A is oracle. And I need to do everything from within DTS.

What I figured out so far is to use a "Execute SQL Task" and place the results in a recordset global variable (Step 1).

Now I need to figure out how to loop thru the recordset and for each record perform:

Step 2
Step 3
Step 4

I am thinking that maybe step 1 needs to be a parent package
and then steps 2,3,4 are seperate packages that get called from 1?? Any ideas? Anybody?

Thanks.

I think you're going down a bad road here. Bringing the necessary oracle data into your SQL database somehow is probably a better idea (IMO) , because it would let you do things in a set-based fashion.

You can do this by setting up a linked server, or actually creating a step in your DTS to bring the data across into a staging table as I suggested.

Can you share what you've done so far?

Hope this helps,

Alex

[small]----signature below----[/small]
I'm pushing an elephant up the stairs

My Crummy Web Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back