Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which Setup /forestprep 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rliebsch

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
US
There are plenty of setup.exe on the Exchange 2003 install disk.
Looking for CLI setup for /forestprep and /domainprep

I am trying to prepare my windows 2000 adc for the install of the w2k3 and e2k3 server.

When I run the setup /forestprep I get the full gui install. I am running this on an existing (production) exchange 2000 server, and trying to avoid as much downtime as possible (my office runs about 20 hours a day)

Thanks for the advice.

Check list for upgrading to Exchange 2003. This is a summary, go to microsoft support for more detailed info...
1. Setup must be able to contact a DC running Win2k SP3 or later, or Win2003.
2. You must upgrade all front-end servers in an admin group before upgrading any other exchange servers in the admin group.
3. Disable unecessary services after setup is complete.
4. You must upgrade all versions of Active Directory Connector in the organization to the version provided with the Exchange 2003 cd.
5. If the MS Mobile Information Server (MMIS) Excahange Event Sink was installed on an Exchange 2000 Server, you must remove the component before you cna upgrade.
6. You must remove Instant Messaging, chat, Key Mangement service and MS Mail or Lotus cc:Mail connectors.
7. Third party apps like anti-virus and backup need to be upgraded to support Exchange 2003.
9. Important - Complete the Upgrade to Exchange 2003 before upgrading OS from Win2k to Win2003 (if current OS is Win2k).

Steps to upgrade using ExDeploy. Again, just a summary.
1. On Exchange CD, open the Support\Exdeploy folder.
2. Double-click the ExDeploy.hta file.
3. Follow step-by-step insturctions to upgrade.

Good planning will keep you downtime to a minimum.
Good Luck...

You only need to use the ADC if you are upgrading from Exch 5.5. What are you attempting to do?

When you do the Forest/Domain prep for Exchange you will always get the graphical installation wizard. Just follow through the wizard and you will be fine.

If you are migrating from Exch 5.5, the I would use the ADC that comes with Exchange 2003 SP-1, which can be downloaded from MS.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Nope.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

PSC,
I currently have a SBS 2000 setup and I'm attempting to install a Win2k3 server and Exchange 2003 on a new server (actually Win2k3 is already installed and running). I'm assuming, even though I'm using SBS, I need to still do the "adprep /forestprep" and "adprep /domainprep" on the W2k box before I install Exchange on the new server?

thanks
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back