Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which services to stop for a safe shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xp2002

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
NL
Hi,

I've got Exchange 5.5 sp4 running on NT4 server sp6.
I would like to remotely shutdown the mailserver when the ups goes on battery.

What are my options?

-I've tried to remotely shutdown with some tools, but I've got the idea that NT only supports rebooting instead of poweroff.
-There are tools to shutdown services. What services can I remotely shutdown so that Exchangedatabase won't get corrupt when the power fails?

I don't think you can do that with NT 4 unless you have a UPS that has a serial port connection and OEM software. When the primary power goes off, the UPS signals the software to run commands such as

net stop "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant"

There are tools out there that can remotely shutdown servers - I use HPTopTools - with my HP Switches. I get a view of the servers installed on the network - and as long as I am admin on that machine - i can force shut it down!

But if you wanna shutdown the server properly - without loosing services you'll have to stop these services!!

Information Store
Then IMS
the Directory store
then the event service
then finally the system assistant.

Now if you were on Win2k - there are tool in the Win2k Res Kit that allow you to reboot machines from a remote machine - from Command Prompt... anyways.. things to think about.

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Like willis99 says your ups should have come with utilities to carry out the shutdown automatically. Try looking up your model on the ups manufacturer's website.

If it's a popular brand such as APC you will have no problem. For example APC's software tools even has a piece of software that you can install on your administrator workstation to be able to change the ups settings.

It is really a UPS's job to have the function to shutdown the PC when power fails or else there's no real point! Most batteries only last for minutes and when was the last time you experienced a power cut that only lasted a few mins! It should also be able to reboot once power it regained too.

Mocharesearch

Alshrim, shutting the Information Store down first forces the IMS to stop as it's dependent on it. You also didn't mention the MTA, best to stop this before the IS if doing a controlled shutdown.

Yip - yer right - Cripes i musta been tired !! hahaha..

Was in yesterday at 5am fixing problems with my exchange server .. ;)

Cheers,

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back