Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which SCSI Adaptor and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbeneke

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2002
AU
We are about to purchase an IBM X235 server with the intention of having 6 x 36GB HDD in a RAID 5 array.

Which would be the better RAID adaptor, the 4MX ultra160 or the RAID 5I adaptor and more importantly - Why?

We will also need to connect an external Sony AIT tape drive.

Straight from the docs:
ServeRAID-4Mx Ultra 160 SCSI Controller is powered by a 100MHz Intel Zion GC80303 processor that provides 64MB of battery-backed ECC cache and two internal and two external ultra 160 connections (only two connectors may be used)...
ServeRAID-5i supports both Ultra320 and Ultra160 HDD's in a dedicated or mixed environment. The adapter installs into PCI slot four and converts both channels of the onboard SCSI controller to RAID in conjunction with the LSI 1020/30 chipset. Both the standard and optional SCSI HDD backplanes cable directly to the onboard controller connectors. Half-high tape drives can be supported either internally or externally on the second channel of an integrated conroller managed by ServeRAID-5i if the bus is designated as SCSI during setup. Supports up to 528MB/s data transfers across the PCI bus with 128MB ECC SDRAM write-back cache with battery backup.

Basically, the 4Mx will leave your onboard SCSI intact to use with the tape, but is lower performance/shorter lifespan. The 5i is higher performance/longer lifespan, but uses the onboard SCSI channels, which may be good or bad, depending on your situation.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back