Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which rights needed to publish Crystal Reports into BOXI R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIsunny

Programmer
May 19, 2010
GB
Hi,
I try to find out if a user who is not in the administrator group can publish a report, without the need to go into CMS and adjust the settings for the Database or the Parameters.

The reports read from a SQL database and have mandatory parameters (date and numbers).

The endusers should be able to view the report on demand and be presented with all parameter prompts but not with the logoin information for the Database. I found that this is only possible if an administrator changes the relevant settings in the CMS (process, database, in Parameters: ensure that all parameters are set to null.

The publishing wizard allows to change the default values, however when I enter in the database logon password to avoid being prompted for the passwd at refresh time, then at the same time mandatory parameters must be filled out.

this has the effect that these parameters are not requested at refresh time and the report uses the values with which it was published. It should not be neccsessary that users have to explictly change the parameter values in infoview.

Is there any way that such a report can be published without the need to make adjustments in the CMC?

Many thanks,
Sunny

I am not sure if I am completely on track with what you are doing and we use a universe, not an ODBC connection, but I believe I have done what you are asking.
I save the report without data to ensure that the parameters are null. In the CMC I open the report and go to Process / Database and select the radio button "Use same database logon as when report is run." I have also selected the "Use customm database logon information specified here" but it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Hi Scott,
thank you for your answer.
We use direct Access to the Database (OLEDB)
What I am after is: Can it be altogether avoided to modify the report settings in the CMC? (avoid step C in the scenario below)

I found a route with minimal interference in the CMC:

Scenario 1: (no dynamic prompt) but normal parameters.

a)User (not administrator) uses Publishing Wizard to publish the report.

b) The publishing wizard allows to change the default values: Choose Database, enter DB logon password, then at the same time mandatory parameters must be filled out. If the report is run now in infoview it will use the entered parameters.

c) Next step. Change in CMS: Go to the report Object – Properties – untick the option “Default Database Logon Information” then click update and “Refresh Report”.
Check in Process -Parameters: are they all null? in Process – Databases: is the Password set?

d) Now the report can be executed by authorized users. They will be prompted for the Parameters but not for the DB Logon.

Thanks for any ideas. :)

Before I was saving the report without data directly to the CMC from Crystal. Then I had to modify the Process / Database screen but not the parameter value.
The Publishing Wizard needs the parameter value so you will have to clear that once it gets to the CMC but it also lets you modify the properties so you can specify the database password and request that the user not be prompted. That way you don't have to bother with the Process / database window.
Either way, you have to do something in the CMC. Either the database or parameter window. I don't bother with the properties window at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back